“Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Universe is unfolding as it should.” … from “The Desiderata”
I used to beat myself up all the time. My vocabulary was full of “shoulds” and I never felt that I was fast enough, smart enough, good enough … or … enough … in any way. I was gentler with those around me but I held myself to exacting standards and … no surprise … I never managed to measure up.
I don’t think that “gentle” was a word that I ever applied to my own life. I may have understood that I was “a child of the Universe” but all that translated into was a belief that as I was that little bit aware that I was this Universal child then I had a duty and an obligation to be better than I was … at the things I did … and … at being more understanding of other’s behaviours, thoughts and actions. Wow … that’s a lot of heavy Shoulds for one person to carry around!
It took a long time and I must confess that the Universe had to take me by the hand, sit me down and have a darn serious talk to me but I think that I’m finally beginning to see the light … Whew! I finally understand that:
- Yes, I really am a “child of the Universe”
- Life supports this child’s walk through the world, my dreams and my hopes as frequently as I will allow It to.
- Allowing Life to support me means getting out-of-the-way so that good things can actually happen.
- A big part of getting out-of-the-way means that I am finally looking my fears, sadness’s and disappointments in the face and dealing with them.
- As I deal with the old patterns, blocks and resistances to accepting the love and support that the Universe has to offer I get to experience the awesome gift of actually receiving said love and support … who knew!??!
Over the last few years it’s often been hard to believe that the Universe was unfolding as it should and I must confess that some days I still give my head a shake and wonder what Life could possibly be thinking! In general, though, Perky Polly and I are pretty happy and more often than not we’re right up there on the front of the boat peering out over the waves to see what surprises Life has in store for us next. We’re children of the Universe and as such Polly and I are ordering up S’more sundaes for everybody who’s along for the ride … ice cream anyone?
Arinaste and Joyful Journeying Everyone!